Monday, March 05, 2007

Monday, March 5, 2007

Good Morning! Thank you for your comments about my Five Senses Weekend and spring layout change. I always enjoy hearing from you!

Uncle Stephen is going home tomorrow, so we are going to make the most of his last day here. The girls and Benjamin will miss their trips to the park and I will miss all the fun and laughing together.

This weekend we had chicken and dumplings for dinner.



These are not the southern version of chicken and dumplings. Basically, you make a chicken stew and when it's finished cooking, you bring it to a slow boil and drop spoonfuls of biscuit dough on top. In about 10 minutes, they will be done. I pop the whole pot under the oven broiler for a few minutes to brown the tops of them.



Yesterday, after church, we took Uncle Stephen to our secret pond. It has been named that because you can't see it from the nature park trail. It was pretty much empty last summer, so it was so great to see it nice and full again!

We ate chicken salad sandwiches, grapes and fruit bars for lunch, by the edge of the pond.



Then, Grace, Emily and Benjamin led the way to the...



...creek!



The kids had their rubber boots on so they had fun wading in the water.



This evening, we are having a friend over for dinner and I think I will make White Chili. I made a pot for Stephen last week and he loved it. It is very quick to put together.



White Chili with Chicken

1 lb. cooked chopped chicken
1 onion, chpped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 (14 1/2 oz.) cans chicken broth
48 oz. can white northern beans (I can't find large cans so I use 3 regular sized ones)
1 (16 oz.) can chopped tomatoes, drained
1 (4oz.) can chopped green chilis
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. oregano

Saute onion and garlic in a large pan until soft. Add remaining ingredients (along with salt and pepper to taste) and cook on medium heat, stirring every 10 minutes or so, until the mixture is hot and well blended, about 45 minutes.

This is fairy mild so you can spice it up with chili powder, cayenne or hot sauce. I usually add some garlic powder and more cumin at the end.

Serve with tortilla chips and a variety of toppings: sour cream, grated cheese and chopped green onions.

Enjoy!




This coming week, I will share some gardening and spring decorating projects I've been working on. Talk to you all soon!

25 comments:

Sharon said...

I really like your new spring layout!

We are having chicken and dumplings tonight...Southern style ;)

Looking forward to seeing your upcoming posts!

Charree said...

The White Chili looks yummy! I will have to give it a try.

Happy Monday!

Susie said...

I see you went on your picnic! What fun...
The chicken chili looks yummy. I've never made that before.
Love your springy look...
hugs!!

LBP said...

MMM Chicken and dumplings! That sounds really great on a cold day like today! What a fun picnic.

Amy O'Quinn said...

I LOVE your new look! I know you've enjoyed having your siblings for a visit...and what lovely memories you've made!
I always come away hungry when you post your delicious photos/recipes! I will definitely be trying the White Chili. I've had it before, but your recipe looks great!
Have a blessed week!
Hugs,
Amy

Rebecca said...

oh to be able to walk about outside without a coat!!! ;-)
Someday, right?!?

Amber said...

I love your layout...its so "springy"...if that is a word ha ha! I make chicken and dumplings like that all the time. I prefer them to the noodles. I love your secret pond! The trails look so nice to walk on! Everyone looks like they are having a wonderful time!!

Sue Seibert said...

Kelli, that white chili sounds wonderful. I've already sent it to a friend. Can't wait to try it! As to the dumplings, I do everything the same except I don't put them under the broiler. Sounds great.

You lake sort of looks like our Lost Lake, but you can't get to ours by land. You have to go into the state park and go by boat and pole into the lake. Haven't done that in years.

Have a great week!!

Candy said...

As always, loved this post!!! :)
Your kids are going to miss their fun uncle :( Tell him we think he makes awesome pizza and we cant wait for him to visit you again and show us whatelse he can make Lol

:) candy

Julieann said...

I love the new look:) Very nice!!!

My husband would think your chicken and dumplings were as southern as anything--(LOL) They look yummy.

Also, white Chilli is awesome--isn't it good? I am not a red meat eater/fan, so I really like that it has chicken in it.

Can't wait to hear about your gardening projects:)

Julieann:)

Carole Burant said...

Certainly sounds like you all had a great time with your brother and I can imagine how much you'll all hate to see him go! Everything you make always sounds and looks so good...wish I could come over for dinner:-) xoxo

Emily said...

Your food looks absolutely delicious. . . I can just smell and taste the YUM from looking at your pics!

You've given me a great idea for my kids with the creek wading in rubber boots. . . we often walk to the creek near our house, but I've never encouraged them to wade in! Now we will!

Emily

Melissa said...

The weather there must be gorgeous for those kids to be out having fun in the creek.
Here we DID get to the park this weekend when the weather was in the 40's, but now it's just started snowing!

Unknown said...

You're place looks so cheerful and spring-y. I love the colors and the new header. I printed out the chicken chili. I think it looks great. I love an easy recipe. And we are huge soup fans in this house. In fact, leftover, re-heated soup is on the menu tonight. What kind you say? It is called, "Fridge Findin's". Never the same way twice. Always hot and tasty.

Pamela said...

Kelli, I am so glad you all had such a nice time with your Uncle. That is the way my best friend used to make her chicken and dumplings, um, it was so good!

Loved the picture of the creek...what fun! :)

Karen said...

Kelli,
I LOVE your new look! I would like to be riding in that buggy to the old farmhouse. LOL.
As always, your recipes look so tasty I have to try them. :-)!
Thank you for your sweet comments and prayers for us. I don't take that lightly. It means more than I could ever say.
Blessings,
Karen

CONNIE W said...

Your post today is so lovely, filled with photos, the recipe, and so much more. I always enjoy stopping by here. :)

Janice said...

I love your new look...it's beautiful!

smilnsigh said...

Ohhh Chicken n' Dumplings!! I saw that, and said it out loud and..... My husband began whining!!! -giggles- He sooooo loves that!!!

I do the same, by making the dumplings with Bisquick.

Methinks we will have to have it soon. I'll tell him to think a thank you to you, when we do! ,-)

Mari-Nanci

Crescent said...

Kelly, I love visiting and seeing "what's for dinner", it reminds me of my childhood in the midwest. I have a White Chili recipe that I use that Clarice developed many many years ago in our CA days.

Crescent said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Open Roads Mama said...

Yummmyyyyy! Hope you had a wonderful supper!

Betty said...

Kelli,
No wonder Uncle Stephen comes to your house....all that good food!
I'd like to come also.

Enjoyed the walk with you to the 'secret pond'.

Naturegirl said...

Kelli I always love seeing your family and recipes on your site! Thank you for sharing with us! hugs NG

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Hi Kelli....

Just wanted to say I made the White Chili for company Monday......It was Delish!!!

Hugs,
Spencer