Thursday, December 18, 2008
For Family Night this week, we made a big batch of gingerbread cookies.
I gave everyone lots of dough.
Then, let them loose with icing, sprinkles and chocolate chips!
1 cup sugar
3 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup melted butter
½ cup evaporated milk
1 cup molasses
¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups all purpose flour
1. Combine the sugar, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda and salt.
2. Add the melted butter, evaporated milk, molasses and vanilla. Mix well.
3. Stir in 1 cup of flour at a time. The dough should be stiff enough to handle without sticking to fingers. Add up to ½ cup additional flour if necessary.
4. When the dough is smooth, roll out ¼ inch think on a floured surface and cut it into cookies.
5. Bake on greased cookie sheets in a preheated 375 F oven for 10 to 12 minutes (ours took around 7 minutes).
Let me know if you make some too!