Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Wednesday, January 17, 07

It was a snow day here in Texas! I heard freezing rain in the middle of the night and then by morning it had changed to snow. The girls and Benjamin were playing outside by 7:30am.

Emily's prize winning snowball! Now she just needs a coat. ;0)



Grace is catching snowflakes on her piece of black velvet.



Benjamin lost a top tooth this week!



There was just enough snow for Grace to build a mini snowman.



Even Phillip had a snow day today and worked from home. I'm starting to get my energy back so for dinner I made Jenny's Grandma's Chicken, along with biscuits and gravy.





Jenny's Grandma’s Chicken

1 whole chicken, cut up
1 large sliced onion
5 carrots, in large chunks
5 potatoes, in large chunks
Oregano
Thyme
Garlic
1 large bouillon cube

Brown chicken. Add vegetables, and just enough water to cover. Cover and cook 45-60 minutes.

Jenny’s notes: I bake it instead of simmering it on the stove. Brown the chicken and just put in a casserole with a little bit of water. Cook for about an hour at 350.

Jenny, it was delicious, thank you for the recipe!!





Buttermilk Biscuits

These biscuits are sweet, crisp and tender.

2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 to 5 tablespoons butter (depends on how healthy you feel!)
1 cup buttermilk

1. Preheat oven to 450F.

2. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces and either incorporate into the flour using a pastry blender or rub the butter between your fingers, until thoroughly blended.

3. Use a large spoon to stir in the buttermilk, just until mixture forms a ball. Turn the dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead it 10 times, no more. If it is very sticky, add a little flour, but don't worry if it sticks a bit to your hands.

4. Press into a 3/4 inch-thick rectangle and cut rounds with a biscuit cutter or glass. Gently reshape leftover dough and cut again. This recipe will produce about 10 biscuits.

5. Bake 7 to 9 minutes, or until the biscuits are a beautiful golden brown. Serve within 15 minutes for them to be at their best.

I hope you all are doing well and keeping warm!

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh!! Snow!!!! That would sure be fun, at least for a day ;) We've had unseasonably cold weather here for about a week, with overnight temps dipping into the upper 20's, with no end in site on the forecast. I know, I know, it's not REALLY cold; but it is to those of us who are used to just a few nights of freezing temps in a whole year!

Open Roads Mama said...

Yummy, and sounds like it's easy enough to make too! Thanks for the recipes, love reading those on your site and watching pics too!!! :-)

Pamela said...

Emily is very good at making snowballs! Grace made a darling little snowman! You know Benjamin is cute when he still looks good without that tooth! lol

Dinner looked scrumptious with the chicken and biscuits! Glad you are feeling better too! Thanks for sharing the snow pictures! :)

dot said...

I want snow too! Or at least some of that good food!

The children are cute as always.

Anonymous said...

OH Yummy! That food looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipes...I might just have to put that on my menu for next week! :)

Lady of the house said...

A snow day in Texas! What a pleasant(?) surprise. Your little ones sure had fun. I'm so glad the chicken turned out ok. I think I'll try your biscuit recipe. I bet the butter imparts a much better flavor than shortening.

Beck said...

We have snow, but because of our insanely cold weather, it's very icy and not suitable for playing in. Good for you for making the most of your snowday!

Lisa said...

Scrumptious photos! *Smile*

Anonymous said...

Oh...YUM.
http://halfwayhome.wordpress.com
I just posted a recipe for today's post....Eileen

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the snow. WE are having alot here, and just getting more, and more, and....

Carole Burant said...

Your children would love the snow we usually get over here...just not this year, since we haven't had the snowfall we usually have by now! I'm not complaining though! lol Loved the pictures and what a great idea to catch snowflakes with black material:-) That chicken and biscuits looks so delish, will add those recipes to my "must try" list!! Hugs xox

Christine said...

What a delicious looking meal! I am so glad that your children enjoyed a snowday!Blessings!

Terri said...

I still think it's funny how a hard frost will shut down entire counties in the south!!! I have my Jeep, so I am fearless anywhere! LOL

The chicken looks delicous, but the reason I had to leave the south was because I cannot make a decent biscut to save my life. Bread yes. Muffins fine. But Biscuts? Better to put jam on a hockey puck! LOL

Vicky said...

That chicken looks lovely and I was VERY tempted to make it, but we are having a bird flu scare in Japan right now, so I will wait a bit. (I'm sure it's OK really and chicken, unsurprisingly, is rock bottom cheap right now, but it makes me nervous....)

I think what you call biscuits I'd call scones and lather with jam and cream!!! You are right that you have to make them and eat them absolutely right away. Yum. Drooling at the thought.....

Your snow day is cute - I could send you a tonne or two from our way. (Although to tell the truth we have very little snow this year at all, but everything is all white now, including the roads.)

Paula said...

Those biscuits are beautiful. So tall and flaky! I'll have to give that recipe a try. Thanks for sharing your life. I'm adding you to my list of favorites on my blog.

Lila Rostenberg said...

Thanks for the great photos to go with those recipes...I think I will make that for dinner! A wonderful comfort food meal!
The only down side is getting out in the cold to buy the chicken.(But I am on my way!)

Sue Seibert said...

Yum, I think I'll get a chicken and try it!

I didn't know you home schooled. Good for you. I am a retired public school teacher, and I think, especially in today's climate, home schooling is the way to go. If I can ever help with anything, let me know!!

Susie said...

Grandma's chicken looks delish as do the biscuits! Looks like you littles had fun in the snow!
Stay nice and cozy!
:)

Chrystal said...

I'm just above you in Oklahoma, and we had an ice storm and heard you guys were getting the tail end of it! Your snow looks a lot more fun than our ice though!
web.mac.com/ihm10

Lena said...

Yay! There's just something about a snow day when you can stay home and enjoy it. The world becomes a magical place. Just the way that snow will slow down the pace of life makes a big difference.
I loved your bird photos down below. We don't have many very colorful birds in our yard. Occasionally we see a Stellar jay and we have goldfinches in the spring...oh and there are other finches too. The males have a lot of red on them. Hmmm, maybe we have more than I think!

Julieann said...

Stay warm on your snowday--and I am glad you are feeling better. Your chicken looked delicious and so did those biscuits--I just love biscuits--YUMMY!!!!

Julieann:)

Mindy said...

Your meal looks delish!! Yum! What fun to be able to play in the snow! Its been cold enough here for it, but not yet, but i'm praying for it!! :)

homespun living said...

Sounds like the ice storm and snow that we received recently. Glad you are enjoying a snow day! The chicken dinner sounds delicious.
Debbie

Naturegirl said...

wHAT A SWEET AND DELICIOUS POST!
Your children are beautiful! Glad you are feeling better. Oh those biscuits!

Laurie said...

I used to love snow days when I was a girl ~ not having to go to school, playing outside in the snow, then having hot cocoa ~ that was the best!
Hope your feeling better ~

Bethanie said...

Hi! I've been looking for a good buttermilk biscut recipe. Thanks!

Sharon said...

A snow day means playing in the snow and the little snowman is to cute. I have not seen snow in Ohio yet........but it may come this way this weekend. Have a good weekend and enjoy........

theups said...

Seems like y'all had a wonderful day!! What a blessing to have the whole family together making such fun memories!! And good food to boot!! Hooray!

His,
Mrs. U

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try your biscuit recipe...my husband thinks a day without biscuits is like a day without sunshine!
YUM-O!
Amy

Tammy said...

We're getting lots of snow now, and those biscuits look YUMMY. =)