Friday, February 16, 2007

~Five Senses Weekend~

The weekend is finally here! I got the idea for this "Five Senses" post from my friend, Sandra. I hope you enjoy it!


Hear:
I am hearing the dryer today. I have a lot of laundry to catch up on. The hard part is putting it all away! I usually clean a specific room/area each day, but I didn't this week so I had a busy day of scrubbing, dusting and vacuuming.



Smell:
I am smelling lavender. I took a ziplock, poured in two cups of baking soda and added several drops of lavender essential oil. I mixed it up, sprinkled it over my carpets, let it sit for awhile and then vacuumed.



See:
I am seeing the wonderful heart that Anita sent me all the way from Germany! I hung it from the mini tea set shelf in my kitchen.


It is even more beautiful in person...lace, tiny pearls and pretty stitches. Thank you, Anita, I love it!



Touch: I will be touching pink flannel and tiny pink pacifier buttons this weekend, as I work on a baby gift for my brother and his wife. They just had their first baby girl this week!



Taste: I am tasting these Banana Crumb Muffins. There is a brown sugar streusel on top. I doubled the recipe and got 18 large muffins.


Banana Crumb Muffins

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.

2. In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.

3. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.


Now I won't be tempted to go to the donut store for breakfast tomorrow. ;0)


I will be by to visit your blogs soon. If you are a lurker, please say hi, so I can come visit you too!

Have a great weekend!

Recipe can be found here.

33 comments:

Susie said...

I enjoyed your five senses. Love the pink flannel with pacifier buttons and the muffins look delicious. We love some type of baked goody on Saturdays also.
hugs!

CONNIE W said...

Your post is wonderful! Love it!

Pamela said...

Always a nice feeling to get the laundry done! Love the cute little hanging heart that Anita made. The banana crumb muffins look delicious and no, I wouldn't be tempted to go to the donut shop with those eyeballing me either! lol Hope you will share the baby gift you end up making with us! :)

Charree said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.... Those look wonderful. I was trying to figure out what I was going to do with the bananas that are going bad in my kitchen. I know what I will make for breakfast.

By the way, you didn't miss anything. I'm not expecting, it is just to have for the future.

Rowan said...

I really enjoyed this post, the heart is beautiful - and the banana crumb muffins look delicious and very more-ish:) Congratulations to the new parents.

theups said...

What a wonderful post, Kelli!!! Very creative, indeed!!! I especially like the idea of vacuuming with the baking soda/lavendar essential oil combination. I'll bet your home smells wonderful right now!

His,
Mrs. U

Heather Anne said...

We are so very blessed to enjoy our five senses so fully! I think I'll challenge the children to be aware of the things their 5 senses are picking up today while we pick up the toys and tidy up! I am seeing huge snowflakes fall quickly outside my window and all is quiet while The Storyteller still sleeps and the Dreamer is reading on her bed! Bliss! Now to whip up some muffins!

dot said...

Throw me one of those yummy looking muffins PLEASE! Hope you enjoy your weekend!

Barbara H. said...

This looks like a fun meme. The banana muffins sound great. We like them anyway. but we especially love muffins with a streusel-type topping.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Anonymous said...

That is a really fun meme! I enjoyed reading it! You always have the best recipes posted. Those sound very very yummy! Thanks for sharing...hope to try them out soon! Have a wonderful weekend!

Carole Burant said...

I so enjoyed your five senses, what a delightful idea! Your muffins look soooo good but then all your baking and cooking always do:-) I'll be going for my tattoo in 2 1/2 hours...starting to get butterflies in my tummy now! lol Hugs xox

Betty said...

Great post Kelli, but they always are!
Thanks for the visit and comment. I think my grandchildren do love their "Mam." One thing for sure, she loves them!!!!!!!
Have a great weekend.

Christine said...

How fun! Everything looks so lovely. Your muffins look delicious. I just love lavender. Blessings!

Heather said...

I loved the pink flannel and the cute buttons! What are you making? I hope you have a wonderful weekend! We will be over in your area on Thursday. My beloved has a job fair in Richardson and we will be hanging out at my brother's in Allen.

Love, Heather

Unknown said...

That was a fun post. The muffins look delicious. And I'd love to see the finished item for your new niece. Post it!

TheNormalMiddle said...

Just delurking and saying HELLO! Enjoy your weekend, it sounds like you've got alot to enjoy!

Sharon said...

I love the idea of the baking soda and essential oil!

The muffin recipe looks good, too!

Have a great weekend!

Open Roads Mama said...

Thanks for the recipes, I so much enjoy browsing through them on your blog. And the photos, superb! Now I can see what's baking/cooking and get a recipe too, you are awsome! Thanks!

Karen said...

Kelli, You are such an inspiration to many! I LOVE coming here and sharing your life daily. It continues to amaze me that anyone wants to read what I have to say, and I so appreciate the sweet comment you left me.:-)
Please share the finished product for your new little niece. Looks like it's going to be precious.
Every recipe that I have tried of yours has been fantastic and I will have to try these muffins, too. Thanks for sharing!
Blessings,
Karen

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

Those muffins look incredible. I have some overripe bananas, so I may need to try those out. Yum!!

Anita said...

First of all, congratualations to your brother's baby! All my best whishes to the young familiy and especially to aunt Kelli!

Oh, my parcel arrived!!! The heart looks great over there! I am so glad you like it!!!

The muffins look yummy yummy!

Have a great week-end!

Jodi said...

Sounds like a full week-end! :o)

Lisa said...

Wonderful post! Those muffins look scrumptious! Congratulations on your new niece... Those buttons are adorable! *Smile*

Amber said...

Oh I will definitely have to make those muffins. Can't wait to see the baby gift. That heart is beautiful...thanks for sharing!

Sharon said...

Oh what a darling post on the five senses. I amy have to try that one out when I get in my new home. Thanks for sharing with us qand now I am hungry.........

Candy said...

Hi Kelli~
Thank you for stopping by my new blog and leaving a sweet comment. I appreciate that!
I LOVE your blog! Many nice ideas and very pretty!

~ Candy

Calico Sky said...

ooohhh I really like your senses. Must be a Canadian thing because several of mine are the exact same :)

Kelley said...

Sounds wonderful Kelli! It looks like you are having a busy weekend too!

Tina Leigh said...

I hear the fire in the fire place crackling...and Gandalf barking at something he has found in the night.
I can still smell the fried quail Danny cooked for supper tonight.

I aint seeing to good these days cause I lost my glasses in the lake this week!

I aint touchin too good either cause my skin is sooo dry from being out in the cold all week.

Taste...well I got a full belly from my husband cooking me my FAV-O-Rite meal ever of fried quail, mashed taters & gravy, pink-eye peas & biscuits!!

Marci said...

What are you making for the baby gift? Pink pacifier buttons sound adorable.

smilnsigh said...

Oh my! I'd certainly love to be tasting those deeeeeeelicious looking Banana Crumb Muffins, soon myself!
'MN'

Anonymous said...

Kelli, you so inspire me. your creativity is amazing! God has truly gifted you in the area of homemaking. Thank you for using that talent and blessing us with it. Stop by my blog and see how I have put to use some of what I learned from you. 2007 Valentine's Day was a little different than 2006. www.homeschoolblogger.com/lovinthoseb

Anonymous said...

I tried your banana crumb muffin recipe and they were wonderful!!
:)
Kat
http://www.xanga.com/sassykat1213