Thursday, March 25, 2010

Skillet Lasagna


Good morning! Hope your week is going well. I've been going through some old recipes since it seems like I've been in a rut lately. This Skillet Lasagna was a hit a few years ago and everyone still loved it last night.

Skillet Lasagna

Use a 12-inch nonstick skillet with a tight filling lid.

-1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
-3 garlic cloves, minced
-1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
-1 pound ground beef or turkey. (I used 1/2 ground beef, 1/2 sausage)
-1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
-10 curly-edged lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch lengths
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
-1 cup mozzarella
-1 cup ricotta cheese
-3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add ground meat and cook, breaking apart meat, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Drain off any grease. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Pour tomatoes with their juices into a 1-quart measuring cup. Add water until mixture measures 1 quart. I also seasoned this mixture with salt, pepper, Italian seasonings and a pinch of sugar.

3. Scatter pasta over meat but do not stir. Pour diced tomato mixture over pasta. Cover and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.

4. Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan. Sprinkle on mozzarella. Dot with heaping tablespoons of ricotta, sprinkle with pepper, and cover and let stand off heat for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Serve.

Let me know if you try it!


Love Bears All Things said...

Thanks, Kelli
This looks good. I've saved it and will let you know if I make it.
Mama Bear

Connie W said...

This sounds and looks so yummy. I hope to give it a try in the near future. If I do, will let you know. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Kathy said...

Ditto on that!! I will let you know when I make it.

Lara (Under The Lilacs) said...

This looks wonderful!!! I have to say, you take *really* nice and sharp closeup photos Kelli. I will add this to my to make recipes.

Simone said...

Hi Kelli,
mmmh...this looks so good...

Meg @ A Dash of Nutmeg said...

That sounds so yummy!! I may try this sometime soon. My fiancee LOVES his pasta and I am always looking for new ways to serve it so I don't get bored.

Gloria said...

That looks really good. I hope you feel better. Have a great rest of the week. Thanks for sharing your delicious looking recipe.

Anonymous said...

Yummy, Kelli!

Love, Debbi

Southern Lady said...

Sounds yummy! I'll let you know when I try it! Carla

dot said...

That looks really good and I think I'll try it some day when everyone gets through dieting. Kelli, I'm a little late but thanks for the Christmas card. I was moving and got behind on every thing.

Christine said...

I am going to try looks and sounds wonderful!

Heidi... said...

I just found you through linking through other blogs... not even sure I could tell you how I got here! I'm glad I did though!

Love this recipe and love the look of your blog. I'll be back often!


Sarah said...

Made it tonight and hubbie enjoyed it. He doesn't like ground meat so we used meatballs.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelli!
This is Crystal from Ohio! I just got my order and I could'nt be happier! I posted your link on my Facebook for all my friends to check out!

windowreplacement said...
This comment has been removed by the author.