Thursday, March 25, 2010

Skillet Lasagna

IMG_0954.JPG.jpeg

Good morning! Hope your week is going well. I've been going through some old recipes since it seems like I've been in a rut lately. This Skillet Lasagna was a hit a few years ago and everyone still loved it last night.

Skillet Lasagna

Use a 12-inch nonstick skillet with a tight filling lid.

-1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
-3 garlic cloves, minced
-1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
-1 pound ground beef or turkey. (I used 1/2 ground beef, 1/2 sausage)
-1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
-Water
-10 curly-edged lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch lengths
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
-1 cup mozzarella
-1 cup ricotta cheese
-3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add ground meat and cook, breaking apart meat, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Drain off any grease. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Pour tomatoes with their juices into a 1-quart measuring cup. Add water until mixture measures 1 quart. I also seasoned this mixture with salt, pepper, Italian seasonings and a pinch of sugar.

3. Scatter pasta over meat but do not stir. Pour diced tomato mixture over pasta. Cover and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.

4. Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan. Sprinkle on mozzarella. Dot with heaping tablespoons of ricotta, sprinkle with pepper, and cover and let stand off heat for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Serve.


IMG_0955.JPG.jpeg
Let me know if you try it!

15 comments:

Love Bears All Things said...

Thanks, Kelli
This looks good. I've saved it and will let you know if I make it.
Mama Bear

Anonymous said...

This sounds and looks so yummy. I hope to give it a try in the near future. If I do, will let you know. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Kathy said...

Ditto on that!! I will let you know when I make it.

Lara said...

This looks wonderful!!! I have to say, you take *really* nice and sharp closeup photos Kelli. I will add this to my to make recipes.

Simone said...

Hi Kelli,
mmmh...this looks so good...
Simone

Meg @ A Dash of Nutmeg said...

That sounds so yummy!! I may try this sometime soon. My fiancee LOVES his pasta and I am always looking for new ways to serve it so I don't get bored.

GlorV1 said...

That looks really good. I hope you feel better. Have a great rest of the week. Thanks for sharing your delicious looking recipe.

Anonymous said...

Yummy, Kelli!

Love, Debbi

Southern Lady said...

Sounds yummy! I'll let you know when I try it! Carla

dot said...

That looks really good and I think I'll try it some day when everyone gets through dieting. Kelli, I'm a little late but thanks for the Christmas card. I was moving and got behind on every thing.

Christine said...

I am going to try this...it looks and sounds wonderful!

Unknown said...

Kelli~
I just found you through linking through other blogs... not even sure I could tell you how I got here! I'm glad I did though!

Love this recipe and love the look of your blog. I'll be back often!

Blessings~
~Heidi
withthankfulhearts.blogspot.com

Sarah R said...

Made it tonight and hubbie enjoyed it. He doesn't like ground meat so we used meatballs.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelli!
This is Crystal from Ohio! I just got my order and I could'nt be happier! I posted your link on my Facebook for all my friends to check out!

@^$$^#* said...
This comment has been removed by the author.