Monday, June 04, 2007

Seashell Critters

Thank you for sharing your favorite June things with me! It was fun reading through your comments and getting some great ideas!

This past weekend, we got out our summer decorations and discovered that our seashell critters had survived just fine. We made them last year, following the instructions in an old Martha Stewart magazine. Here is the story they came along with...

Sea creatures are notoriously shy, but the ones you're about to meet came out of their shells (so to speak) to tell you their story. My photographer tried his best to make this gang of beach bums smile. Some did ham it up; there are wise guys in every group!


Mr. Mouse holds a degree in architecture. He designed his own seaside bungalow, built it out of inexpensive cardboard, then covered it in shells to remind him of his childhood home.


This elegant giraffe was born in Florida, where many augers - the pointy shells that make up her neck and legs - wash ashore. "I love the beach, but I came to New York City to dance in the ballet. I have a talent for tiptoeing," she says.


The koala finds the climate in the northern hemisphere too clammy for his taste.


Tiny pink shells grace the ears of this fluffy poodle. She has just gotten back from the groomers. You do look lovely Madame poodle!

Please remember to take your animals to the shore now and then. As the bird says with a sigh, "We get a little homesick sometimes!"


I will be back soon with more summer decorating and healthy summertime snack ideas!

32 comments:

Carole Burant said...

How absolutely adorable!!! I've never seen little animals made with seashells...I'm just delighted with them all! xox

Paula said...

What a fun day it must have been when you made those. How cute! Love the poodle.

Lori said...

I love your seashell critters. They are so cute.
I will look forward to more ideas that you have on decorating and on snacks.

Open Roads Mama said...

very cute :-)

Susie said...

So delightfully creative! They are just adorable :)
Looking forward to all your summertime ideas!!
xo

Jodi said...

How darling! and I love their little stories. :o)

Melissa said...

So pretty! They are the perfect summer decoration. That poodle almost makes me like poodles. ;)

Anita said...

Wow Kelli, your seashell critters are amazing and soooo cute! Very very well done!

And thanks for the story! I especially LOVE the giraffe who has a talent for tiptoeing.... ;-))

Have a wonderful day!

Disney for Boys said...

This is one of the cutest things I have ever seen! I will have to try this with my boys!

Thanks and have a blessed week!

Tiany
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Tiany/

Ruth said...

How cute! What a fun idea.

Myrna said...

PRECIOUS! You are so creative!

Lena said...

This is a delightful post Kelli! I love your seashell creatures and the little house. Perfect for summertime decorating and they are reminding me of my recent trip to the seashore. I've been needing some new summertime inspiration, and can tell this will be the place to come for that!
Take care.

Unknown said...

Your critters are so cute. What a fun activity and the stories that went along with them remind me of how my husband and I love to make up stories about the people we are watching in airports and such. We can get pretty creative!

Have a wonderful summer day with the kids Karen.

Jenn4Him said...

I am going to show these to my kids when they wake up. I think the zoo yesterday made them a little tired. :-)

dot said...

I remember you showing them last year and they are still just as cute!

Henny Penny said...

I used to have a bobble head turtle made of seashells! AWESOME craft!

Momma Roar said...

The critters and the story are absolutely adorable!

Tracy said...

You are so clever! I love your critters!

Gena said...

Those litte animals are so cute! I also love the house. The poodle is especially adorable with her little pink pearls. We are headed off to Florida this week, so we'll have to look for lots of shells. My girls would love to do something like this.

Anonymous said...

Sweet...creative, I love the stories that go with them.

Amber said...

What a wonderful idea. I will have to try this because I just got a lot of seashells from my SIL who went to the beach last week.

Karen said...

These little guys are so full of personality! Cute as they can be!
You've got so many great ideas, Kelli!

Janice said...

I remember when you made these and am so happy to see them again! Just adorable!! :o)

Sheri said...

Those critters are adorable Kelli! How fun for the summer time... and I look forward to your summer snack ideas. I just posted one on my blog today, and am looking for some yummy ideas!

LBP said...

How Cute! I'm sure you had fun making those.

Julieann said...

Ha, Ha!!! Those are absolutely adorable!!! Thank you for the smile today:)

Julieann:)

Christie Belle said...

How cute! I've always loved the little ones that you see in beach shops, but these are SO much cooler!

Anita said...

What a wonderful seashell critter collection! It looks like a wonderful thing to keep on my list of ideas for summertime fun with the kids!

Cris said...

Oh I am impressed, so beautiful!

Sonya said...

Very, very cute! I love Martha! She has such wonderful ideas using simple things!

Anonymous said...

Kelli, I remember these adorable little critters from last summer, too!! (I was a lurker then, and I can't believe it's been that long!!) The poodle is new though, right? Their little stories are too adorable!! :-)

Amanda said...

Wow, stumbled across these completely by accident, how cute are those!?!?! :)