Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Homemade Father's Day Card

Timalee at My Unexpected Happiness asked about sharing some homemade card ideas for the men in our lives and this week's project is my attempt at doing that. Remember that Father's Day is coming up in a few weeks!

Notecards
You will need two coordinating patterns of scrapbook paper and depending on what you use can really change the look of the card.

Notecards
Here are a couple of "girly" cards I made, too.

Twine
You will need a 7x5" notecard (or a 7x10" piece of cardstock). I also picked up some thin cording since I'm guessing guys don't appreciate ribbon as much as we girls do. :0)

Paper
Cut 4- 6 3/4 x 2 1/4" strips of scrapbook paper: two of each pattern.

Notecard
Fold the left flap of your notecard toward the center of card.

Notecard
Repeat with right side.

Notecard
Glue one of the paper strips to left side of card.

Notecard
Repeat on other side, making sure to use the other patterned paper.

Paper
Take another strip, turn it over and with a pencil, make a mark along the long edge at the 3 3/8" point.

Paper
Place one end of ruler on the dot and the other end at the top right corner. Draw a pencil line. Repeat with the top left corner.

Triangle
Cut along pencil lines and you will end up with a triangle. Repeat with remaining strip of paper.

Notecard
Glue triangles to front of card, as shown.

Notecard
Punch a hole at the edge of each flap.

Notecard
Tie a lose knot with the cord. I also added some BBQ stickers, but I think I like the card better without them.

Notecard
You can also turn the triangles around for a different look.

Notecard
I hope you enjoyed this week's homemade card project!

31 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh the kids will love that they will be able to do this!!! Many thanks!!

Love,
kelly

Michelle said...

Hi Kelly,
I need to make a birthday card for my sister, and this is great! Thank you!
Michelle

Michelle said...

What lovely cards, Kelli! Thanks for sharing :)

Timalee said...

Thanks so much! This is just the kind of inspiration I was looking for!

Anonymous said...

I am planning on making my Father's Day cards this year. You gave me a couple of ideas. Thanks!

dot said...

Beautiful cards Kelli! I'll be trying one of these for sure. Your card making day is becoming my favorite!

Janice said...

Thanks for the inspiration. What beautiful cards!

Linda said...

Hi Kelli....these are great! I needed new ideas, especially for the men in my family. Thanks for the tutorial. Linda

A Hint of Home said...

Very cute cards!
I posted my canisters after you asked what things we keep in them on your blog.
I watch Little House whenever I'm doing time on the walkfit machine. I love those shows.

nancy said...

Kelli, THese are so nice. Thanks you.
Nancy

Needled Mom said...

What darling cards - as usuual. You always do such a wonderful job and are so generous in sharing your ideas.

I love your canisters too. Looks like they are filled with everything I keep in mine too.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Kellie,
I noticed that my name is not on the list for Show & Tell Friday...I know I put it there, did I do something wrong?

Blessings Rondell

Julie said...

...and here I was all proud of myself for already "buying" a card!

Julieann said...

Lovely Cards:)

Julieann

Unknown said...

I loved seeing this on the HS Lounge today. Thanks for sharing them. You ideas are always so cute!! Hugs and hope you have a great day!!

Anonymous said...

My dad is getting a hundred dollar gas gift card this year, for their summer road trip.

Kelli, check out my blog post on dream whip cake. I think you will like it.

Danielle

Julie said...

Those are so creative. I love them. There are so many cute, cute kinds of paper out there. I am going to use this idea for my girls next week when school is out, and I hear the "I'm bored" statement. I will have them make cards. thanks for sharing. Julie

Jen said...

So sweet. I really like these. You are so talented.

Eleanor Joyce said...

These are beautiful! I so enjoy visiting your blog. I have a giveaway contest on my blog right now, and I think you'd love the magazine prize. It sure seems like your taste. Please consider checking it out.
Thanks,
Eleanor

Rose of Sharon said...

What wonderful cards! Thanks for the ideas!

Hugs, Sharon

TJ said...

I love the Father's Day card with the grill! It has a retro feel and very manly, which is hard to find in cards.

Thanks for sharing!
BTW, Gas here is over $4.00 a gallon at nearly all gas stations. Makes pulling the trailer very pricey. But as I told my grandma, I can't take the $ with me when I go, so might as well spend it enjoying my family.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to do this with my kids! How fun!

Pretty Life Online said...

nice one kelli, thanks for sharing this is a great ideas.... Now, I'm back been awhile... sorry!

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

This is just one more reason I love blogging. I have made thousands of cards and this a new idea to me. Thanks for sharing!
hugs, Linda

Anonymous said...

Kelli!

Your creativity never ceases to amaze me! Thanks for the idea.... :)

Christine said...

These cards are absolutely charming!

Anonymous said...

This is lovely - thank you for sharing such an elegant little how-to. I've only recently considered scrapbooking and card making, and this post has given me lots to work with!

Anonymous said...

i came across your blog and want to say thanks for all the great ideas! iam a stay at home mom in california and just started getting into card making and baking. cant wait to try some of your yummy recipes! thanks again take care
~ashlee h.

JencyJo said...

I used this post to make christmas cards! Loved the idea! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I came across you site whilst looking for card ideas. I just love this one with the triangles. Thanks so much.
Regards,
Suzi (England)

bonnie said...

Every once in a while I need to get 'out of the box' with my card ideas, and you've just done that for me.
Many thanks for your inspiration.