Saturday, April 22, 2006

Summer Meals

It is time to put away the fall/winter dishes and get out the summer ones. At least here in Texas anyways. It was 90F while I was out grocery shopping this afternoon! My freezer, fridge and pantry are nice and full. I have a master grocery list that I print out when I go shopping. It has everything that I ever buy and I check off the ones I happen to need that particular week based on my recipes.
We went to the Farmer's Market this morning. It was opening week and I was expecting to see tables full of tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. It was disappointing to see green onions and that is about it. But I got to thinking, if I can't grow those things in my garden yet, they can't either! I did get some organic eggs and local honey. We had peanut butter and honey sandwiches for lunch. :0) We'll go back in about a month and hopefully there will be a bigger selection.

Our local nature preserve was celebrating Arbor day today. Grace, Emily and Benjamin all got pony rides! Afterwards, Benjamin said he was a little scared but decided to be brave! They all had big smiles on their faces and waved to us in between petting the pony.

I worked on my menu last night and wrote down around 15 recipes that I plan on recycling through over the next few months. Here is the list. Please let me know if you would like any of the recipes.

-Sauteed vegetables and feta over pasta

-Mushroom Stroganoff

-Choose-a-flavor quiche

-Turkey burgers with cranberry sauce. Served on English muffins.

-Spinach salad with feta

-Southwest summer salad

-Orzo summer salad

-Broccoli salad

-Cucumber salad

-Spinach and strawberry salad

-Deviled New potatoes

-Assorted sandwiches including, egg salad, tomato and cucumber, turkey and swiss

As you can see, lots of salads, Phillip will most likely grill chicken breasts or turkey sausages to go along with them.

For Sunday dinner tomorrow we are having the turkey/cranberry burgers, corn on the cob, salad, cheese and crackers and a strawberry and blackberry crisp for dessert.

3 comments:

Patty said...

Sounds like some great meals on the menu !

Anonymous said...

coming out of lurkdome..

Id love the recipes for:

Sauteed vegetables and feta over pasta
-Mushroom Stroganoff
-Choose-a-flavor quiche
-Spinach salad with feta
-Southwest summer salad
-Cucumber salad
-Deviled New potatoes

:) Hopefully you know my email address :)

BTW..Love reading your blog!
Ginger

Melzie said...

thanks for the visit to my blog :) I dropped by yours too! Love the tooth fairy candle, did you appoint her to that role or is that what she was made for? Neat :) Come back soon (and I put the rainbow on, just because I had bought/cut it for that border, but I would have been happier I think with a solid :) Oh well live and learn LOL I am enjoying the trials and errors ;-) xoxo melzie