Thursday, February 21, 2008

Homemade Cherry Pie

Pie
In honor of George Washington's birthday, we made a cherry pie!

Cherry Pie

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. almond extract
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
2 (14.5 oz.) cans of red tart cherries, NOT cherry pie filling (look for pitted cherries, packed in water)
Pastry for double pie crust

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In saucepan, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and undrained cherries. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils (about 7 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in almond extract.

Pour mixture into a 9-inch unpacked pie shell. Dot with butter. Cover with top crust and seal edges and crimp. If a lattice crust is not used, put one or several vents in the crust. Bake at 400F for 30-35 minutes or until crust is brown.


Pie
You can serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream if desired!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is just to neat. love the Cherry pie idea. I need to read about him and share a pie with Kaytlynn when she stays with nana tonight.
I went to visit his home and loved it so much! Hope to go again in a few months with Rian before he leaves for overseas again.

GranthamLynn said...

Well I am #40 today but #2 in comments. I guess everyone else is hopping around other show and tells. Well I think your stamp collection is huge! What a cool thing to have and so many. It sure shows indurance on your part.
It is a little like the collection I showed today. Yours is bigger I think. I had to tell you I love your creative ideas! Baking the pie is such a cool thing to do and a great way to reinforce your history lessons. I am inspired by you guys that home school. Watch my post for a giveway soon. I think your girls will love it! Enjoy the pie! Sherry

Jen said...

That is so cute and thoughtful. We love cherry pie...I may make a cherry cobbler this weekend. Great idea. I made your Amish bread yesterday and it is sooooo good.

Unknown said...

Your cherry pie looks delicious. I have two pie cherry trees in my back yard. Every year for the last 5 I have spent days making my own cherry pie filling. When I make cherry crisp or pie it is like a little bit of sunshine in the winter.

You really have some beautiful stamps. Thank you for sharing your collection.

Mike Golch said...

I love the cherry pie,I think I'll ask the better half to make one.
I would like to do the show and tell but for some reason I'm not getting it how to do so.If I could I'd be showing my treasure,My Hammered Dulicmer.