Monday, December 17, 2007

Gingersnaps

Cookies

Gingersnaps are my very favorite kind of cookie. I have been using this recipe for many years and like to keep some of the dough in the freezer for a snowy day.

~Gingersnaps~

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup molasses
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
Sugar for rolling

1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar on medium speed until creamy.

2. Add the eggs, beating until fluffy. Add the molasses, lemon juice, and vanilla. Continue beating until well combined.

3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.

4. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating as little as possible.

5. Divide the dough into two portions and warp in plastic wrap. Chill for at least 1 hour. (Dough can be made a few days in advance and kept in the refrigerator.)

Cookies
6. Using your hands, roll the dough into 1 inch balls and roll the balls in sugar. I also flattened them slightly with the bottom of a glass.

Cookies
Place them on greased cookie sheets and bake in a 350F preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. (I took mine out at 7 minutes and let them finish baking on the sheet). Tranfser cookies to a rack to cool.
Cookies
Crispy and sugary on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside.

Cookies

I put one dozen cookies in a cellophane bag, added and gift tag and ribbon.
Cookies

Enjoy!

8 comments:

Edi said...

I too have a great gingersnap recipe - I didn't realize you could freeze the dough for using later...great idea!

I am not an expert cookie maker - but the gingersnap recipe I make (found in a kid's magazine) are the best ever. Not only do they taste great - but they always turn out beautiful.

I like how you packaged yours up - a lovely edible gift.

Diane Shiffer said...

OK.. I am definitely making these cookies tomorrow! and I love your packaging... thanks for sharing:-)

dot said...

Oh Kelli! Gingersnaps are my favorite and if you say this recipe is good then I'm going to try it. Thanks!!

dot said...

Well if I don't ask how will I know? Where do you get the cellophane bags?

Amy said...

wow! those look amazing. i love the packaging!!

Amanda said...

Kurt loves gingersnaps. I shall have to try your recipe!

Marci said...

These look wonderful. I will have to try them.

Lena said...

All of your cookie recipes sound so good, and your packaging is lovely. I especially like the way the gingersnaps look. A wonderful gift!