Thursday, December 07, 2006

"New To Us" Treasures

We usually make our way to our favorite resale store near the beginning of each month. Everyone gets their allowance and are ready for a treasure hunt.

I want to share with you a few things we found yesterday. At the bottom of a box, I pulled out a small bag with these Christmas figurines inside. It looks like they just stepped out of a Tasha Tudor book!

Figurines
Originally uploaded by pwinn.



If you click on the picture they will show up closer. The little girl on the left is so cute! We are keeping them on our diningroom table so they can be played with. ($2.00)

Girls
Originally uploaded by pwinn.



This "Santa Clause Is Coming To Town" painting was new with the tags still on. I put it on the wall beside my china hutch. ($2.00)

Painting
Originally uploaded by pwinn.



Here is another item that was new. A red velvet shirt for Grace. She is going to wear it with a black velvet skirt she has for our Christmas pictures. ($3.00)

Shirt
Originally uploaded by pwinn.



Grace hit the jackpot on horse books! They were 59 cents each!

Horses
Originally uploaded by pwinn.



We found several Christmas books and a video of Miracle on 34th Street. One of the stories is "Twas the night before Christmas" told by a family of mice. A Christmas carol book and a "Best of Christmas" poem book.

Books
Originally uploaded by pwinn.



The poem book has the prettiest pictures...

Sleigh
Originally uploaded by pwinn.



I sure would love to spend some time in this kitchen! "Grandpa and Grandma welcomed us in their usual, sincere manner. At their house the Christmas spirit prevailed all year 'round. We stomped into the warm kitchen and its savory smells of cooking made us hungrier than ever. Momma put on an apron to help."

Kitchen
Originally uploaded by pwinn.



Santa in his toy shop. I'll bet it's a busy place right now. ;0)

Santa
Originally uploaded by pwinn.



Here is one of my favorite poems from this book.

Christmas Is...

Christmas is holly
And gay mistletoe;
Christmas is tinsel
And soft candleglow!

Christmas is cookies
And candy cane treats;
It's the warm cheery greeting
For friends that we meet.

Christmas is children
With faces aglow;
It's Santa and reindeer
And new-fallen snow.

It's tissue and seals
And bright colored string;
It's greeting cards and presents
And the carols we sing.

Yes, Christmas is this,
But, oh, it's much more
Than tinsel and trees
And gifts in a store!

Christmas is angels
Drawing nigh to the earth
To tell the good news
Of the dear Saviour's birth.

Christmas is God's Son
Sent down from above...
The real meaning of Christmas
Can only mean love.

Kay Hoffman

19 comments:

Patty said...

What great finds Kelli, I love those little figurines. Great books you found too.
I went to Goodwill today and had some fun, brought a bag for donation and came home with a bag : )

Susie said...

You've found some great bargains. Your daughter will look so festive in that pretty red top. Love all the books! They're so expensive to buy new!
:)

Anonymous said...

What great finds!
The figurines are so cute!
I am wanting to head to the thrift stores tomorrow and look for treasures!

Reviekat said...

Terrific finds! I just love seeing what y'all get. The dolls are beautiful and you're right, they look like they are out of a Tasha Tudor book. :)

Heather Anne said...

You really did well Kelli!!! Isn't hunting for treasure fun - and so eternally valuable - to be teaching the children the value of money, and the fun of being frugal and using all of the resources God has given to our best ability! You're such a shining example for your children! Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Kelli, what nice treasures you found. HOpe you enjoy them. Dot

Lady of the house said...

Hello, Kelli! Such finds!!!

Anonymous said...

Those are some really good finds and I love that poem! I am a bargain hunter myself and have enjoyed seeing what you find. :)

Lila Rostenberg said...

I love those figurines!
You are right about Tasha Tudor!
She is one of my all time favorite illustrators and life style models!

Beck said...

Beautiful treasures! Everyone lives near a great resale shop but me!

Susan P. said...

Wonderful finds, Kelli! I bet Grace was beyond excited when she found the horse books! The book looks like such a treasure and the description in the book made me want to visit such a place:)

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

It's always so much fun to go on a treasure hunt...looks like you found some wonderful treasures, I especially love the figurines.

Mindy said...

What fun things you happened upon!!! I love the books!!! Its always so much fun for me to search out theses shops cause you just never know what you'll find! Have a lovely weekend..blessings..

Carole Burant said...

Ooooh what wonderful treasures you found and the prices sure were good:-) Those books look fabulous and I also love the little family in the first picture!!

smilnsigh said...

Oh Kelli, may I please know the exact title of that book... a "Best of Christmas" poem book? I've already fallen in love with it and I'd love to try to find a copy.

Please and Thank you.

'MN'

Amy said...

What wonderful treasures! Don't you just love finding things like that for so little cost?

Kelli said...

Smilnsigh,

The book is put out by "Ideals." The title is "The best of Christmas." The editor is Maryjane Hooper Tonn. The book is from 1972.

I can't find anything on Amazon but did find this ebay auction. The price seems high to me!

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Best-of-Christmas-Ideals-1972-HB-VG_W0QQitemZ8376090038QQihZ021QQcategoryZ377QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem


I hope you have better luck tracking down a copy!

Kelli

Tammy said...

Wow, looks like you found some great bargains!!!

Mama Heffalump said...

What wonderful treasures! I love those lil figurines! *Grin*