Monday, November 12, 2007

Monday ~ "Words of Thanksgiving"

Creek

Prayer of Thanksgiving

In the early 1600's the Dutch settlers brought this prayer to the New World. Music was added and it became a favorite in the colonies. The colony, originally called New Netherland, included the coastal areas that later became New York, New Jersey, and Delaware.

We gather together to ask the Lord’s blessing;
He chastens and hastens His will to make known.
The wicked oppressing now cease from distressing.
Sing praises to His Name; He forgets not His own.

Beside us to guide us, our God with us joining,
Ordaining, maintaining His kingdom divine;
So from the beginning the fight we were winning;
Thou, Lord, were at our side, all glory be Thine!

We all do extol Thee, Thou Leader triumphant,
And pray that Thou still our Defender will be.
Let Thy congregation escape tribulation;
Thy Name be ever praised! O Lord, make us free!

Translated by Theodore Baker (1851-1934)


You may listen to the tune of this hymn at Cyberhymnal.org

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have actually heard/sung this song.

Jodi said...

I love this poem/hymn ~ one of my favorite at Thanksgiving. Indeed may His name be ever praised!

Jen said...

What a sweet sweet poem

Mommy said...

Wow, I loved the history behind this hymn. The title of this hymn is actually used in Cranberry Thanksgiving, a book for Five In A Row. I tried to teach it to my kids, but they words are kind of tongue twisting for them.

Rebecca said...

I really REALLY like this Kelli! I liked it so much, I started making a melody for me to memorize it, then I saw you had a link to a score. Well...I went there and it turns out, it is the very same melody to a common Psalm that we sing in church often! :-)

Thank you for sharing!

Lori said...

Very nice song. Not sure if I've heard that one before.