Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Savory Summer Pie


Dinner
Originally uploaded by pwinn.
Good morning everyone,

I made this for dinner last night and wanted to share the recipe. It was very good!

Savory Summer Pie

Ingredients:
1/2 (15 ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 purple onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
4 eggs
1 cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
3 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices

Directions:
FIT pie crust into a 9-inch deep-dish tart pan; prick bottom and sides of pie crust with a fork.

BAKE at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from oven; set aside.

SAUTE bell pepper, onion, and garlic in hot oil in a large skillet 5 minutes or until tender; stir in basil.

WHISK together eggs and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in sauteed vegetables and cheeses. Pour into crust; top with tomato. (the tomato is optional)

BAKE at 375 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until set; shielding edges with strips of aluminum foil after 30 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

6 comments:

Patty said...

wow that looks yummy ! I am going to have to try that recipe. Thanks for sharing it

Kelli said...

Hi Patty,
It was really good for lunch today. All the flavors were stronger. I had my slice with half of an avacado. Yum!

Kelli

Tina Leigh said...

I think I will try this too.

Kelli said...

Let me know how you like it, Tina!

Anonymous said...

I haven't done any blogging before but I had to let you know how much I appreciate your posting of the "Savory Summer Pie" recipe. I was preparing the pie for my daughter's wedding rehearsal dinner and realized I did not have the recipe here in Pennsylvania(I originally got it from the Southern Living magazine in about July 2000 and keep it in my book in Florida.) It is one of my favorites and I have shared it with many friends as well as served it hundreds of times and always received compliments. I googled for it today and so thank you for putting it on your blog.

Anonymous said...

I have tried this recipe and love it. The last time I made it, I took 1/2-3/4" slices of our fresh home-grown tomatoes and cooked them on a cookie sheet 4 1/2 hrs. at 200 deg. F to make a homemade somewhat "sundried tomato". Then I heavily covered the top of the pie with them. The flavor was out of this world!The tomatoes had a perfect intense, sweet flavor.mmmmmm